What is a bootable USB?
Windows 10 Bootable USB: A bootable USB that contains instructions for your computer’s bootloader to load up various assets to run windows or other operating systems.
Actually bootable USB is used for operating system installer so our system will know to boot into the installer, and the installer will essentially unpack a large compressed file that containing the actual operating system’s resources.
To make a bootable USB that contains the installer for an operating system like windows, ubuntu, etc. Then we need to download the appropriate .dmg, .iso or .img (they are all the same thing) to based on whether our system is 32 bit or 64 bit.
If you are a windows 10 user and if you want to create a bootable USB drive for Windows 10 then you can do that very easily. Here, I will show 2 steps for creating a bootable USB.
You can choose any one step to create a bootable USB.
Windows 10 Bootable USB Using Rufus softwear:
There are some software are available on the internet for creating a bootable USB. Creating a bootable USB drive for windows 10 is also pretty easy – here’s how to do it easily:
- First, you have to Download Rufus from here. Rufus Download link.
- After download, your software then Click and Open rufus.exe
- After installing your software when the user interface of the software opens up, plug-in your USB
- Now look for the “Create a bootable USB drive option” and from the drop-down, select an ISO Image file
- Now, click on the button next to the dropdown and select the Windows 10 ISO that you want to be install
- At last, click on “Start” and wait for the software to create the bootable USB drive.
That’s it. Now, wait for some time just because it takes some time to complete this task. After completing 100% then your Pendrive will ready to install windows 10.
Windows 10 Bootable USB Using Command Prompt:
- First, connect your USB drive with your desktop or laptop.
- Then open your command prompt as an administrator
- Next, type “diskpart” and hit enter from keyboard to open disk management utility using command prompt.
- Next, type “list disk” and hit enter from your keyboard then you will see the connected disk that are available in your desktop or laptop. It will show your hard drive and it also shows you USB drive if it’s connected with your desktop or laptop
- Now you have to select your disk, for doing this type select disk # and hit enter from your keyboard, you will have to replace the # with your disk number that you want to select.
- Next, you have to clean your USB drive, for doing this, type “clean” and hit enter from your keyboard.
- Now you have to create a bootable partition for doing this you have to type “create partition primary” and press enter form your keyboard.
- Next, you will need to format the USB drive – just type ‘format quick fs=ntfs’ and hit enter from your keyboard. it will take a few seconds for formatting.
- After formatting your USB drive then you have to active your USB drive, for doing this just type “active” and press enter from your keyboard. Now, type “exit” to exit from the command prompt.
- At last copy, all the Windows 10 files and paste it inside your USB drive.
That’s it! You have just manually created a Windows 10 bootable USB drive and now it is ready to install Windows 10 on your desktop or laptop.